The Steering Committee for the Test Of Proficiency-Huayu (SC-TOP) was established in November 2005 under the direction of the Ministry of Education of R.O.C. Originally “Chinese Language Testing Center” and renamed in January, 2007, the Committee aims to develop and promote an effective Chinese assessment system, mainly the Test of Chinese as a Foreign Language (TOCFL), for Chinese learners worldwide to assess their Chinese proficiency.
The SC-TOP has the following major missions:
- To design and plan the test contents of TOCFL
- To build test item pools for TOCFL
- To develop computer-based Chinese proficiency test systems
- To promote Taiwan’s Chinese proficiency tests for nonnative speakers of Chinese
- To increase exchange among Chinese proficiency test organizations worldwide